The Allen's Online Blog

Phillip and Jennifer are currently living in Taiwan for a year! Jennifer is working for an international school teaching first grade (yes, this is new!). Phillip will be working on his education and taking good care of his wife..... page down to the bottom of this page to view past posts! Thanks for visiting www.phillipedwardallen.com

Sunday, December 9, 2007

 

Is This a Rerun?

So, from all of the bouncing around on our semi-violent scooter, I ended up with an injured back. Through a connection at school, I found an English speaking chiropractor and made an appointment for the following evening. Unfortunately, this connection was a bit lacking in the directions area and sent me off with "Go under the bridge. Take the road until it ends, then go right. Go to the light and take a left. Then turn right, then left, and his is the third house on the left." Those were the actual directions. No road names. No landmarks. I should have never left the house, but of course, I did.
I left a good bit of time, assuming that I would get lost. After wandering for about 30 minutes, I called to say I was lost, and to ask for directions. The woman who answered the phone responded by saying, "Ok. Just call when you get here!" Hmmm... So, I continued down the poorly paved road weaving through fields. I never actually reached a stop light to turn left at. In fact, I didn't reach anything for quite some time. After about an hour and a half of nothingness, the bumpy trail dumped me onto a road with a lone structure: a gas station. From this gas station, I could see the distant lights of a city, my city. I pulled in and called the chiropractor again to see if he could help me find my way. I had to hand the cell phone off to the attendant so that he could explain where I was. The gas station attendant talked to my chiropractor for quite some time, until my phone died. Being a very kind man, the attendant used his own cell phone to call the chiropractor back. Eventually he handed the phone back so the chiropractor could inform me that I had left the city and crossed a mountain and was too far away to bother coming back, so I should just try to go home. Go figure. So, I started up my scooter... wait. Let's try again. I started up my scooter... No. The scooter wouldn't start. In fact, I was completely out of gas, but had been to caught up in finding my way to notice. So, there I was, in the dark, lost on a mountain with no cell phone, no gas, and no English speakers. Praise God the scooter died at a gas station and not on those back mountain roads! After fueling up, I tried to get directions home, but no one spoke English, so I just headed back the way I came. Amazingly enough, I made it back to my apartment that same night.
I rescheduled my appointment for the next morning, but this time I took Phillip with me. Naturally, we got lost again, but we did stay on this side of the island. The chiropractor ended up coming to pick us up. Did I say "chiropractor?" Turns out he actually specializes in acupuncture. So, he took us to his home, I laid on a sofa in his living room, he put long needles into my back and then lit them on fire to send healing herbal heat into my muscles. I apparently have a slipped disc, and if the acupuncture doesn't help, he's sending me to a chiropractor. He says if I was in the States they would have recommended surgery, but such things aren't necessary here. Imagine that.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Archives

August 2007   September 2007   November 2007   December 2007   January 2008   February 2008   March 2008   April 2008  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]