The Allen's Online Blog

Phillip and Jennifer are currently living in Taiwan for a year! Jennifer is working for an international school teaching first grade (yes, this is new!). Phillip will be working on his education and taking good care of his wife..... page down to the bottom of this page to view past posts! Thanks for visiting www.phillipedwardallen.com

Sunday, November 11, 2007

 

New News

I started my new job on Monday. Most of you are probably wondering, "What new job?" Well, that's what happens when you live around the world with no international calling plan! While I was enjoying my job teaching English at the Hess language school, it wasn't going to cut it financially. We could've gotten by ok, but there would be no way of saving enough money to fly back home. An international school in the area was desperate to find a first grade teacher, and they found me. So, now I am teaching at Hsinchu International School. The children are from all over the world, but all of their classes are in English. It's pretty much the same as if I were teaching first grade in the States... which I would never do.
So, I started Monday with a bad cold, no energy, no voice, 17 energetic first graders, and two full time jobs (each afternoon, when the kids went home, I went to Hess to continue teaching until 9pm). It was an interesting beginning. The first day, I appointed "line leaders" for lunch and recess. The kids thought it was a reward, in reality I had no idea where the cafeteria and the playground were. I don't think they believed me that I didn't have a voice either, they thought it was some sort of whispering/listening game. Oh, well. I think I'd rather their parents get this translation anyway.
Phillip and I got up early Saturday morning so we could decorate the classroom before I had to go to work. I'm working on a fun Dr. Seuss theme. Phillip has been really helpful in assuring my survival through all the craziness. Now, the worst part is over. Saturday was my last day at Hess, so starting tomorrow I'll be a normal teacher with only one full time job. Overall, things are looking up. I'm excited about the new job, and we've been finding some more food options that make life a little more comfortable. With my MUCH improved salary, we're even going to be able to travel a bit. We booked a vacation for Boracay, an island in the Philippines, for Christmas vacation. (I would not have had any Christmas vacation with the old job, but now I have two weeks, paid.) I can't wait!
Actually, I'm hoping to spend some time reading on the beach while I'm there, but I've already finished all the books I brought, and it's hard to find good literature in English here (although, I can get the Harry Potter series in Mandarin ridiculously cheap). Has anyone read anything good lately that you'd want to mail to Taiwan? :) I'll return it!

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Archives

August 2007   September 2007   November 2007   December 2007   January 2008   February 2008   March 2008   April 2008  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]